Monday, November 29, 2010

First Few Days in Site






So I have almost completed my first full week in my site as a full time volunteer. This isn’t exactly the most exciting time for us. Or should I say this isn't the busiest time. Since school is out and there are no classes, I find myself having a lot of free time. This is the point when I am supposed to be getting to know the community. This may seem fairly easy but for me it is kind of a challenge. I am not the most outgoing person in the world, so putting myself out there and introducing myself is something I am not use to. I think it will be good for me though, because it forces me to come out of my shell.

Yesterday I went to the finca or the farm with my family. It was pretty cool. At the farm they grow a lot of different things such as bananas, mangos, plantains, avocados. We packed up the family truck and headed over to the finca. My host mom’s mom made pollo asado which is grilled chicken. Also I tried sheep’s meat, which was really good on the grill. We also had a salad and plantains. We stayed there for about four hours and just talked. It was fun, and I got to know my family a little better. I am supposed to go to another lagoon with them on Tuesday, which should be fun.
I am also glad that we have a phone plan now where we can call and email anyone for Peace Corps for free. I have a feeling I am going to need a lot of support and will be giving a lot of support to people over the next few months.

Also sadly one of my friends from my group has decided to go home. I am really sad to see her go because we were really good friends. I support her decision and I know her number one priority is her health and happiness. I am hoping we will keep in touch! She said she would send me packages! A part of me is a little jealous because she gets to see her family and friends and sleep in her own bed! I wish we could take mini breaks every three months. I know it doesn’t work like that but it would be nice. Haha Ok well until next time….

Pictures:
These are all pictures of the farm.

2 comments:

  1. Hey there, love the pictures. I hope you are keeping good spirits. So since you were down there for Thanksgiving, what did you have for "Turkey day"? :)
    You better get out there and introduce youself...you are American...that makes you exotic! Ole'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kellie! Your sounding a little homesick my love. Hang in there and continue to think of the difference your making down there. This is a once in a lifetime experience and you're doing it!!!

    ReplyDelete