Saturday, December 11, 2010

Holiday Time






Hello All,
So I have been in my site and things are going well so far. I am slowly but surely getting to know my community. I have learned where the Internet cafes are, the pharmacies, the fruits and vegetables stands, there’s a gym and there is a pizza place too. I usually get lost about once a day but not for long because it's really not that big ha.

I started my service at a fun time in Nicaragua. Since it is close to Christmas there are a lot of celebrations going on. I have realized that I feel the most out of place here when I am at a social event. I never realized how comfortable socializing in the at home is to me. I know exactly what to do when I go to a party, how to greet people, where to site, what to say. But when I am here in Nicaragua, all that goes out of the window. For example I went to a baptism here at the Catholic Church, which was very nice and very similar to baptism I have been to in the us. It was for my host mom’s niece. My host mom and dad are the godparents. After the baptism we went to the family’s house for a little party. When we first got there I didn’t know where to sit. Everyone was looking at me like who is this girl? I ended up sitting in an area where no one else was sitting. Then we all sat down and I was thirsty, but unlike parties in the U.S. you can’t service yourself. They bring out pre-made drinks on tray with ice in them for you to take. After the one drink you get your eat your food. (Which is also pre-made on a tray) Then there is cake, which here in Nicaragua, they usually eat in napkins. I haven’t found out why yet but the cakes here are really good. Then of course I am just sitting there like a mute because I am having trouble understanding what people are saying and then I usually answer “si” to something that didn’t need a yes or no answer. Or I am being asked if I like the food in Nicaragua and if I am going to get married here haha. It doesn't bother me though. So it’s just very interesting learning different ways of doing things in another country. Cultural norms are so familiar and comfortable and to get use to new cultural norms is not easy! I am excited to go to more events here in Nicaragua and see how things are done and try to fit in better.


Well that’s all I have for now. Sometimes when I watch tv, I turn to the few American channels here and see all the Christmas commercials. It really makes me miss home! I am sad that I won’t be home for the holidays, but hopefully I will enjoy myself here and have some unique memories of Christmas in Nicaragua. Oh also I have a new address. If you want to my new address just email me, but it’s also on my facebook page. Later gators!!

Pictures:
I hate how it organizes the pictures when I upload them :(

The first two pictures of of the baby and my host parents at the baptism.
The next few pictures are of my host brother and sister before my host brother’s first communion (Communion here is a really big deal and everyone dresses up and attends the mass).
Also a pictures of the inside of the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment