Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Site Visit









Hi All,
This past week I have been visiting my site where I will be for the next two years. It was a good experience and I think I am going to like my town. Something that I wasn{t planning on feeling was completely lost in my new community. I am only about a 20 minute bus ride from my training town but it seemed like hundreds of miles away. I guess I am so use to my training town and most first host family that it has kind of become a comfort for me!

My site is a lot bigger than my training town. There is a bank, and a central park (that is being re-done) and two grocery stores! My new host family is really nice. The first three days were really akward though for both parties. This family is a lot smaller ( four people) and a lot quieter than my training family. So lets just say there were a lot of awkard silences. Mainly my fault because I wasnt sure what to say. Also they talk a little bit faster and quieter in my new family so it was hard for me to understand what they were saying in the beginning. It will take some times but I know I will grow to love them!The food was really good too! My room is nice and there is a really nice bathroom which I love! In the family there is the mom and the dad and then a nine year old named Oscar and a 2 year old Alejandra. Another Alejandra that is two years old lol. She is really cute and seems to like me. I also met the extended family and they are all very nice!

I also was able to go to the school where I will be working and observe some classes. I am going to be working with 4 different teachers at the school. I will definetly have my hands full but it will be fun! The school has three different shift, morning, afternoon and evening. I will probably be working morning and afternoon. Al the teachers seem really excited to work with Peace Corps. I cant remember how many times random people asked me to teach them english in the past week lol. So I am sure I will be very busy. One awesome thing about the school is that it has a computer lab. That is going to be very helpful for me for looking things up and just general internet stuff. So over all my site is pretty cool and I think I am going to really like it. Its very close to the Managua and the Peace Corps office so that is great too. As my family kept saying its bien tranquilo, very calm and laid back so I like that. Only a few weeks left of training I cant believe it. The next few months will be interesting because school is out so I have two full months with nothing to do... I am not sure how I will fill my time. But I am sure I will figure it out.

Until Next time

Pictures:
The first few of of my new house where I will be living, it{s pretty nice. Notice the High School Musical Pillows
There is a picture of a volcano in the distant
My site has a minor league baseball stadium
Oscar and Alejandra

2 comments:

  1. Oscar and Alejandra are adorable! I can't wait to meet them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittany I was going to say the same thing! Do they have baseball games at the stadium?? I bet that would be fun too!

    xoxo.

    ReplyDelete