Sunday, November 21, 2010

On to the Next Step






So I am happy to say that I am officially a peace corps volunteer! I made it through training! Today we had our swearing in ceremony. So it's official, I am going to be here awhile. Only 27 months to go! lol. It was a really nice ceremony with all of our host families. The U.S. ambassador here in Nicargua came and gave a speech as well. It was a really exciting day. We sang the Nicaragua national anthem as well as the U.S. one. I think I messed up the Nicaragua one but no one knew. Funny story when the ambassador came into the room, we all stood up. My friend Megan who was sitting next to me, by mistake knocked the table with her knee and my glass of water spilled all over me!! It was right at the beginning of the ceremony. I was wet and freezing cold lol. Luckily I was wearing a silky dress so it didn't really show. It was pretty funny.

It's been a crazy two weeks, having our last minute meetings and sessions before swearing in. It was fun spending time in my training town. It was sad to leave my family from my training town. We also said goodbye to our youth group. They danced for us and made us dinner, it was very cute. I am also sad that my training group (Nica 54) is going to be moving around to all different parts of the country. I made some good friends in the last three months so I am really going to miss being with them all the time. But now we have cell phones where we can call and text each other for free! So I am pretty excited about that.

I guess now the "real peace corps" experience is starting. We are actually starting our service and doing what we came here to do. It's exciting but also scary at the same time. I am nervous that I won't do a good job! There is a lot to be done and a lot to live up to. The next two months we are supposed to get to know our new community and our new families. That should be fun and a little challenging as well.

Tonight we are having Thanksgiving dinner at the country directors house! It should be a lot of fun!I am happy that we won't completely miss the comforts of home. Apparently it isn't hard at all to find turkey here. There is going to be pie as well which I am excited about

Hmm I am not sure what else to say. I am excited to start my service. I am proud of myself and I hope I do a good job.

Pictures:

Picture of the youth group
Picture of my family the night a made them a spaghetti dinner
Pictures of the swearing in ceremony with my host mom and sister and then some of my friends.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats, Kells!!!! So happy for you. :) Enjoy the holiday!

    ReplyDelete