Friday, October 1, 2010

Life as usual



Hey All,
I don't have anything too exciting to say this week. I have officially been here for a full month which is pretty cool! Only two more months of training to go! Haha

I taught my first class on Monday afternoon. It went pretty well. I have many many things to improve on of course, but for my first class I felt pretty good. We were working on comparatives in class. We did a couple of fun activities to make it interesting. I tried to use as much English as possible and I got some blank stares but overall I think the kids understood what was going on. As part of the program initiative we are trying to make the classes more communicative and less copying on the board. For a lot of teachers this is a hard transition to make. I think it helps the students learn better and have fun at the same time. I am excited to get to my site in a few months and work with one class more consistently.

We were supposed to go visit a volunteer in different parts of Nicaragua this weekend, but the trip was canceled because of Hurricane Matthew (Mateo). I am pretty bummed that we can't go visit a volunteer. That would have been a good way to see what life is really like as a volunteer. I guess there is nothing I can do about it! I guess that leaves more time to hang out with my host family and practice my Spanish! I can also have time to hang out more with the trainees here. We have an awesome group of people. Jessica and Megan who live in my town and awesome and we are becoming really good friends. We see sides of each other that not many other people see lol. The rest of the group is great too, I am sure I will be making life long friends!

Well that's all I have for now. Life is becoming a little more routine here. I am sure I will have more stories and experiences in the coming days. I am sad that I am missing the fall season, because its my favorite one!

Pictures
1. The whole group that came to Nica with us (TEFL group and Environment Group
2. Just the TEFL group

No comments:

Post a Comment