Saturday, October 9, 2010

5 weeks In...







Hola Amigos

I am back again for a little blog action. Things have been pretty busy this week. We have been attending a lot of charlas or workshops and a lot of training sessions. I taught my second class last week. It went pretty well, even though sometimes the teacher I work with is a little apathetic at times. I am trying hard to make the classes that I am teaching fun and hopefully the kids will learn something. I am looking forward to having a consistent class to work with in the future.

We also got a packet with the different choices for sites. So basically we get a list of places around the country where we will be placed. Based on the information they gave use we pick our top three choices and we will more than likely get one of our top three choices. We only have the information about the places but not the names so we kind of have to make a decision based on what they gave us. We are all really excited to find out where we will be for the next two years. Most of the sites for the TEFL program are in larger cities, but there are a few rural sites. I would definitely prefer to be in a larger city. We are finding out where we are going October 29th, so that's something to look forward to!

Today we went to the Volcano in Masaya. We have a diversity session and then after that we drove to the top of the volcano to take pictures and have some snacks. It was pretty fun although it was a bummer that we couldn't climb all the way to the top. Recently one man committed suicide at the volcano and two people got struck by lightening. So now they don't let anyone hike to the top. It was still cool to look inside of the volcano. It didn't explode don't worry lol.

Side note... I haven't taken a hot shower in almost a month and a half. I also have only take a real shower about 4 times since I have been here. The rest of the time I have been taking bucket baths... so you basically have a bucket with cold water in it. When there is no running water which is most of the time, you dump the water on yourself, lather up and then dump the water on you to wash off the soap. It's pretty interesting... it's not as awful as it sounds... lol but it's definitely an experience. Since it's so hot the cold water isn't that unpleasant. I just thought I would point that out. OK that's all I have for now. Tomorrow I am going to Masaya (bigger city), to have lunch with the person I teach with and see her house and have lunch. This whole week the city of Masaya has had parties and celebrations for their patron saint. I am going to try and take some photos of that and then post them on my blog. I hope all is well in The USA. I am sad to be missing the fall season.

Pictures
1. A picture of my nails that my host sister did for me (she did my toes too)
2-5- Pictures of the volcano
The rest of my photos are on facebook

1 comment: