Monday, March 7, 2011

Life Update

Buenos Dias

I haven’t written an entry in awhile. I have been really busy with school and getting use to my schedule. Teaching is going pretty well so far. I am starting to get to know my teachers better which makes it easier to work with them. The other day one of the students asked me why all gringos (americans) have dreadlocks lol. I just started laughing. I explained to him that a lot of the gringos that come to Nicaragua do have dreadlocks but not all Americans have them. My community class is going well. It’s kind of nice to be the only person in charge of the class so you can do things the way you want to. Sometimes it can be intimidating also because you want to make sure they are learning and that the class is interesting. But I have a good group and they all seem really interested in learning English. We have had four classes now.

This past weekend I went to a jazz Concert in Masaya. It was really fun. The U.S. embassy brought bands from the United States, Germany and Nicaragua together for a four day festival. It was free and the bands were good. It was outside and there were tables and chairs set up for people to sit. It’s fun to get out and things like that. My friends and I felt so cultured lol.

I still haven’t made that many Nicaragua friends. I do have a few friends, but not that many. I really love hanging out with my Peace Corps friends but I also want to have a few Nica friends. But I guess my teachers are my friends and people in my host family are my friends. I guess I haven’t really made friends that are my age. But I met two different sets of people this week and they invited me to their house for a meal so maybe I will make more friends soon.

But I am very excited because my mom and sister are coming in about 6 weeks! I can’t wait to seem them. I am slowing trying to prepare them for the ridiculous heat! lol I am going to stay in the hotel with them and I am really excited about that. (Hot shower and air conditioning)

No comments:

Post a Comment