Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I guess I am a Teacher Now



Hi All,
I am glad to say that I have sucessful survived my first few days of teaching! It wasn´t too bad. I guess I am a teacher now because when the kids see me in the street they yell Hola Profe (Hi Teacher). Sometimes I look around and then realize they are talking to me! Its different here because the students call the teachers Profesora or Profesora instead of Miss Bland ect. So I am getting use to that.

Being in the school for the first few days, I already realize that this is going to be a challenge. All of the classrooms are full to the brim with students and some of them are standing up because their aren´t enough desks! There are anywhere between 35 to 51 students in one classroom. One of the classrooms didn´t even have a board. The limited resources make it hard to teach and learn. But we are going to work with what we have and try and make English class fun. The fact that I am from another country makes me cool! (I think...) I am working with four teachers, two that work in the morning and two that work in the afternoon. I am still trying to figure out my schedule, but I am going to try and alternate days between morning and afternoon. We are supposed to work about 16 hours a week. All the teachers at the school are really nice and they are trying to make me feel comfortable and welcome. I also start my community enlgish class on Monday. I already have 21 people interested. This is going to be a challenging year for me but I know it will be rewarding at the same time. I feel so productive in Nicaragua. I have been getting up early (5 am) to go to the gym. Then coming home and showering and going to school. Wow, only in Nicaragua lol.

In other news... I chopped off all my hair. Turns out my hair didn´t really handle this weather too well. So after six months I decided to go to the hair salon. My hair was a disaster. It was uneven and just a mess! So I told the woman to just cut it all off and start over. I am still geting use to it. Not sure that I like it. I look at myself in the mirror and I am like hmmmm who is that. But I think it was a good idea because my hair was damaged. I think it will grow back healthy now...

Thats all for now. I will hopefully get through the first week of school. I am sure I will have more stories to come

Pictures... the hair...

2 comments:

  1. Love the new style!!!! Congratulations Profe on a job well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the hair Kellie! Good luck teaching! I know you will do well.

    Ginny

    ReplyDelete