Saturday, March 19, 2011

Language Taller and Matagalpa


Hello All,
Que Onda!? I have been really busy with school and planning with my teachers. Coordinating with all four of my teachers is a lot harder than I thought.

Anyway this past week I was at a spanish language workshop. Since I was at the intermediate level before the end of training I had to go back for a week long workshop to evaluate my spanish and to see if it had improved or not. So I was kind of dreading it at first, but in the end it was really good to review certain topics and learn new grammar. We were able to ask the teacher questions. I think that my spanish has improved a lot but I still have a loong way to go to have that perfect spanish that I want. Hopefully after two years I will get there.

So for the language workshop we had to stay with a family for a week in our old training town. I love my training town. It's really small and everyone there is super nice and they always remember me when I come back. Most people stayed with their same families they had during training. My host family didn't have a new volunteer so I had to stay with a completely new family. I was a little bit nervous about that because I would be staying with strangers again. Well I was worried for nothing! The family I stayed with were some of the nicest people ever! They made me feel right at home. Elba and Luis were the parents and then Emanuel and Orlando were the two boys. They were so sweet. They talked to me and they said they want to come visit me at my site. I am always amazed at how sweet and caring Nicaraguans are. So many times complete strangers have gone out of their way to help me or make me feel comfortable.

This past weekend a big group of us went to Matagalpa to see Sam's ( a volunteer from my group) new house. He has this great new house with two levels and a kitchen and it's awesome. He had a little house warming party. It was like a mini reunion. It was so much fun to see everyone! We also went into the city and I had a calzone, it was soo good. I haven´t had Italian food like that in a long time! We also went out for a little dancing that night too.

Well that´s all for now, I have to get to school.

Picture: The Group at Sam´s house. We have ¨finger mustaches on¨I realized that I am completely covering mine and defeating the purpose!

2 comments:

  1. So exciting. I love reading your blog. I watched Anthony Bordain No Reservations in Nicaragua and I was thinking of you. He was eating lizard. Have you tried that yet?
    -Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very, very nice! Finger mustaches...LOL I have the A Bourdain: No Reservations on my DVR too. Can't wait to see what Nica is all about.

    P.S. I may sneak in Brit's suitcase when she comes to visit so don't be surprised when I pop out. :)

    ReplyDelete