Saturday, January 8, 2011

FACE CAMP






Hello All,
I just got back from helping out with an English fluency camp for teachers run by the US embassy. It was a really great experience. I learned a lot and met some really great teachers. The schedule was really tough. We were up at 5:30 am and didn't go to bed until 9 pm! every night we were exhausted. I help out at the came with two other peace corps volunteers from my group and then three Nicaragua teachers. The teacher that I helped, his name was Julio and he was great. He had really good ideas and knew exactly what activities to do to help the teachers. He was also really funny. In the afternoon, the PC volunteers, taught the teachers about American Culture. We taught them about our individual states (MD, AZ, MN), and different types of American music (Jazz, Country Hip-Hop), and a little bit about US government. We also had a lesson where we talked about any stereotypes or myths that had to do with US culture. Apparently people from other countries think we eat meat everyday and that our parents don't care about our relationships haha. There were some really funny things that they wrote down.

We also got to know the teachers really well. They talked with us about why we came to Nicaragua and wanted to know everything about us. It was really cool to see how passionate they are about their jobs and their students. They don't get paid much at all and yet they are willing to do everything they can to improve their English and in turn help their students have a chance at a positive future. Also I was super impressed with how much English they knew. There were different levels of English at the camp but they were all very competent. We also had a talent show and all the teachers worked really hard to create dances, and tell jokes and sing songs. even though I was tired every night, I had a great time. I was sad to leave when it was over. I am glad I was chosen to help with the camp. I have posted a few pictures from the camp.

1 comment:

  1. I LIKED TO SHARE IN THE LAST FACE CAMP, IT WAS REAALY GOOD!! CONGRATULATIONS EMBASSY FOR THAT.

    ReplyDelete