Saturday, September 18, 2010

Poco a Poco





Hey All,
Back again for an update for everyone. Last week was a week of celebrations here in Nicaragua. They were having their celebrations for independence day. There were a lot of parades... that's about it lol. It's not exactly like the 4th of July in the states. There are just a lot of children in parades wearing their school uniforms. The crowds don't really cheer at all. It's not exactly what I am use to but it was still fun. The torch of liberty also came through our town this week. Apparently it started in Guatemala and is traveling all through Central America. I took a few pictures. All the kids were out of school for the whole week basically. We have been having a lot of Peace Corps workshops this week as well. We had our first technical workshop for teaching this week. It was pretty fun and interesting. I am realizing that I am going to have to get my creative juices flowing quickly. I am going to be doing a lot of things with very little resources. It will be a challenge but I think I am up for it!

I realized that I haven't really talked about the food at all. It's a big part of my life here and I haven't even mentioned it. So everyday I usually have rice and beans. Sometimes twice a day. They are really good, but I do get sick of it. There is something called Gallo Pinto here, which is a mixture of rice and beans that are fried. It's hard to explain. It's really good and I have it everyday. I usually have bread and an egg for breakfast which I like. I have had pancakes a few times as well. For dinner I usually have chicken or beef with rice and beans lol. I also eat a lot of plantains here. I wasn't a big fan of them before I came here but I am slowly starting to like them... fried plantains are pretty good. I am still working on trying to like bananas... lol. We also have drinks here called frescos. So my host sister literally takes a fruit or two fruits and put them in a blender with sugar and makes a drink out of it. I usually have one every day and they are usually different. They are really good but full of sugar lol. I will try and get some pictures of the food

Other than that I am just trying to stay healthy and get to know my area. We have gotten to go a couple of different places this week so I am looking forward to exploring different places. Tomorrow I am going on a trip with my family to an unknown location. I just go along for the ride lol. I am sure it will be fun. My family has a car but no one has their license so we get someone to drive us. It's pretty funny.

I think that's all for now. I will have more updates maybe in a week or two.

Va Pues
Adios

Pictures- The torch of liberty (there was actually fire),some of the parades in the town.

2 comments:

  1. the frescos drinks must be like the ones at taco national! Sounds great! I hope you have a good adventure today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BANANAS!!! I read your post and I have to hear about you liking bananas..?

    ReplyDelete