Friday, September 3, 2010

I made it!



Hello Everyone,
I finally made it to Nicarauga. The build up and anticipation was crazy but I am finally here. The days leading up to my departure were pretty hard. Leaving family and friends was actually a lot harder than I thought. But I am hoping that with time I will get use to this new place and new people and feel comfortable with what I am doing.

The first few days of orientation have been intense! We have been talking about what they expect from us and what we should expect out of our experiences. There are a lot of rules and regulations being reviewed, along with a couple scary stories about other people's experiences. I think this is to make sure we are aware of our surroundings and not to act reckless in this new country. But to counter act all the information overload I have met some really great people so far. There are about 43 of us. Half of us are in the environmental group and half of us are in the TEFL (including me) group. We have been doing lots of exercises together. Because of this intense experience we having really bonded quickly. I will be sad when the two groups have to break off tomorrow. Last night after dinner we had a Salsa and or Bachata lesson from one of the girls in the group. It was pretty fun and entertaining. The food has been really good far. We have had a lot of chicken and beef and then rice of course. I haven't had beans yet, but that's because we are still at hotel lol. Something to look forward to!

Today we have a couple more sessions for them to evaluate our Spanish level and then we find out who are host families will be and where we will be living during training. I am pretty excited about meeting my family. I remember what I felt like meeting my family it Spain. It was pretty scary, but in the end it was a great experience. The next 11 weeks of training will be intense and very hard. We basically have to prove that we are capable of doing the job. I think that I will be able to do that but it is a little intimidating. Anyway I just wanted to give everyone an update! On the side of the screen are a few pictures that I took on my first day. We are in a city called Granada and it's very beautiful. It's an old colonial town with lots of colorful building and old churches. There is also a lake called Lake Nicarauga (clever)

I will try and blog as much as I can. I wanted to take advantage of the free internet here at the hotel. Ok well I will probably have an entry sometime next week!

Adios