Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Out on my Own




So moving out on my own has been quite an adventure. Let me start by saying that I am loving my independence with the new house. There have been some adjustments that I have had to make. One being getting use to the "nature” coming inside. I have had some scares with the spiders, lizards, mice and cockroaches. But I know by the end of this I will be fearless when it comes to little critters! I am already starting to have a thicker skin when it comes to that stuff. I am cooking for myself now! But I am finding myself having to be creative with what I am cooking. I have made some good/strange meals so far. I am finding myself eating soy meat, which I always hated (but never tried) in the states. Sometimes I feel like I am a vegetarian here. Which isn’t a bad thing.
I paid my first month's rent the other day. Everything went smoothly except for when I asked my landlord how much the electricity bill was. She said something like “oh didn’t hear that man driving around in that truck with that megaphone announcing that it’s time to pay your energy bill.” Apparently I have to pay some man that drives around in a van. I have to present my receipt, which I also didn’t have and pay my bill. Otherwise I have to go to the main office, which is a pricey cab ride. But on another note, the plantain tree in my front yard is now “bearing fruit” My neighbor cute them down and gave half to me and she took the rest. So I will be frying up some of those up soon. Those are just a few of my many adventures as a renter in Nicaragua. I bet there are many more stories to come! Almost a year in Nicaragua! I must say I am proud of myself!

Pictures:

1. I found that painting in my little backyard. It was pretty nice so I put it up on the wall
2. Some of the plantains from the tree. I am going to eat them
3. Two Gatorade bottles I filled with dirt and made into weights for when I exercise

1 comment:

  1. I am impressed with the improvised weights! You are getting very resourceful. xoxo -Rhi

    ReplyDelete